Exercises to Help Prevent Shoulder Pain
Here are a few tips to follow to prevent feeling any sort of discomfort in your shoulder:
Practice Shoulder Exercises
- A crossover arm stretch involves gently pulling one arm across your chest with your hand holding up your upper arm. Hold this stretch for 30 seconds.
- Another great exercise is the elbow flexion. Pull a moderate weight slowly towards your shoulder while keeping your elbow close to your side, then hold this position for two seconds. Slowly bring your arm back to the starting position and repeat for eight repetitions and three sets.
- Repetitive movements that involve keeping your arms overhead or out to the sides can cause trauma in the surrounding tendons, bones and joints. If you need to perform repetitive movements, take breaks, ice the shoulder and take anti-inflammatory medications as prescribed by a doctor to avoid swelling.
Use Proper Form When Lifting Heavy Objects
- Keep your feet apart and squat down bending your hips and knees.
- Practice good posture – back straight, chest out and shoulders back.
- Slowly lift with your hips and knees while keeping your back straight.
- Hold the object close to your body.
- Never bend forward.
Should a shoulder injury arise, our team of highly trained doctors is ready to assist you. Contact us and let us help you get back in the game.
Posted in: Neck/Back & Shoulder